Friday, June 14, 2013

Tulane Football Camp June 13, 2013

Just going to start posting things as they come to me. This is the first of what should a couple pieces on the 3 days of football camps for Tulane Football.

Just to be clear, I am still tracking down exactly who was there so this is not 100% complete and accurate but it is pretty damn close. There were a lot of kids so I am trying to track down names of the guys that stood out. There a few kids I still need to identify.

I guess the biggest news from yesterday was the fact that the #1 recruit in the entire country was in attendance as a participant last night - Mr. Leonard Fournette - RB from St. Aug HS. How a kid can be so big, so fast, so quick, so agile at the RB position is beyond me. The young man is just an incredible physical specimen. I would call him a star of the camp but you expect what you saw from a player of his caliber. The one thing I was more impressed with about Leonard was that he took it upon himself to mentor the other guys out there. It was clear they all knew who he was and that they were in awe of him and he led the way in drills, showed them how to work hard and even help teach different things. He also took it upon himself to leave the RB group and then go take some snaps at WR. Dude can do it all.

Another surprise participant that showed good feet, power and explosiveness was a University of Texas commit - St. Aug DT Courtney Garnett.

Tulane put out an official offer to 2016 Holy Cross RB Tre Turner who blazed a 4.46 40 time in the brutal humidity.Turner is camping with Mississippi State next.

The biggest stars of day one in my opinion were Tulane QB commit Glen Cuiellette & up and coming sophomore Riverside QB Deuce Wallace (nephew of Timmy Byrd). Glen was remarkable. He is very athletic, has a great frame and he can _____ing spin the rock! He puts more zip on the ball than any QB I have seen on a Tulane roster since Patrick Ramsey I think. He showed great power and solid accuracy.The WRs trying to catch his ball were saying "damn, never had a ball thrown to me like that before" and even the Tulane staff that should be very familiar with Glen were doing triple takes at what they were seeing. The most impressive thing I noticed about Glen ( & Tanner Lee at last years camp to be honest) is the leadership. You could instantly tell they were had the ability to lead by the way they worked and by already instructing others at the camp. Don't know if the young man will be a great QB for us or not but I cannot think of another QB I have been more impressed with than Cuiellette. That said, keep in mind that other than a couple youtube clips and this one day in person I have nothing else to go on but the 1st impression was a big one. Glen camped with Mississippi State recently where the coaches there told him he was the best QB at the camp.

Now, having said all that the most impressive player at the camp by a long shot had to be QB Deuce Wallace. As a freshman last year he threw for 2700 yards and 31 TDs. This kid looked freaking fantastic and is still so young. From the footwork, accuracy and arm strength (not like Cuiellette's) this young man seemed to have it all. Again, he showed that intangible you look for and that is leadership. You can tell a leader by the way a QB carries himself and how the players around him react to him and this guy carries himself like a senior getting ready for college, not a guy that just finished 9th grade.

As always there were a host of St. Aug kids there along with Texas commit Courtney Garnett. Tulane commit DE Peter Woullard was there and he looked better than I thought he would look. He has a nice frame on him and has a bit more build than I thought he would have. I think we have a solid get right there. Also in attendance were 2014's OL Peyton Winbush , LB Austin Craig , DT Marseth Andry & DB/S Brandon Williams , 2015 RB Lenard Fournette and many more I am tracking down.

There was a nice contingent of kids from the Tampa, FL area there. Shaw HS had two guys off the top of my head that I noticed. 2015's LB Joe Prevost and WR Bryson Simmons. There were a couple more QBs out there that were solid but I need to get names on. I think one of them was from Ohio or the east coast but I am checking.

Lastly we had about six kickers out there:
Nick Vogel - Mandarin HS, FL
Aaron Bird - Westgate HS, LA & http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=6704325
Shelton Wooley - Ruston HS, LA
Zach Standish - Sam Barlow HS, OR
Dalton Young - Christian Brothers HS, TN
Logan Klotz - LA

That is it for now. Check back later and this weekend for more updates.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Excellent post. This article is really informative and helpful. Thanks.
    football news

    ReplyDelete